(208)345-4907 1001 S Orchard Street, Boise, Idaho 83705

Employee Handbook – Section 4



Workplace Health & Safety

The BC/AC Housing Authority wants to provide you with a safe and healthy work environment, and we need your help to do that. The following is basic safety information.  Consult your supervisor if you need more information.

  • If you are injured on the job, no matter how minor, you must let your supervisor know, and fill out an accident report as soon as possible.
  • Learn and practice all BC/AC Housing Authority safety procedures.
  • Report any unsafe condition or damage to property to your supervisor.
  • Do not smoke in any Housing Authority building or in Housing Authority vehicles.  Smoking is permitted only during lunches and breaks and only outside in designated smoking areas.
  • Become familiar with any Material Safety Data Sheets applicable to your job.
  • Learn proper procedures for heavy lifting and adhere to them.
  • Keep your individual work area clean and orderly.  Untidiness and clutter invite accidents.
  • Know and follow the safety rules established for your job.  When in doubt, ask before proceeding.
  • Do not allow unauthorized persons to operate equipment or have access to restricted areas.
  • If you are assigned to a job requiring protective clothing or equipment, use it without fail.  Always dress in a way that will not invite job-related injuries.
  • Store all materials and equipment in their proper areas.



We want you be able to do your job without undue distractions.  Therefore, the following guidelines apply to soliciting in the workplace.  Except for authorized BC/AC Housing Authority programs, or those who have obtained prior approval, individuals not employed by the Housing Authority are not permitted to enter Housing Authority premises at any time to solicit, survey, petition, or distribute literature.  This restriction includes charity solicitors, salespersons, questionnaire surveys, union organizers or any form of solicitation or distribution.  Employees may only approach each other regarding reasonable forms of solicitation during non-work time (including before and after the start of all involved employees’ work periods, and during breaks and meal periods) and in non-work areas.  Any other solicitation requires approval of the Executive Director.



We need your help to provide you with a safe and secure place to work.  The Executive Director is in charge of security for the BC/AC Housing Authority.  Please report immediately to your supervisor, the Assistant Director for Administrative Services or the Executive Director the presence of any unauthorized person, anyone engaged in improper activities, suspicious looking packages, or any other perceived security threat.

Get your supervisor’s written authorization before attempting to leave the premises with any Housing Authority property or equipment, and make sure you return it when through.  Take care of yourself and your personal property while at work.

During new employee orientation, you may have to sign for BC/AC Housing Authority parking identification tags and building keys, as appropriate.  These, and all Housing Authority property, must be surrendered upon separation from employment.  Any incidents of damage or theft to Housing Authority property will be thoroughly investigated.

Security is mostly common sense.  If you have questions or suggestions for improved security, consult your supervisor, the Assistant Director of Administrative Services or the Executive Director.


Substance Abuse and Testing

The BC/AC Housing Authority is committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment.  The misuse of drugs or alcohol by employees is a threat to the public welfare and the safety of employees.  Accordingly, employees are strictly prohibited from possessing,  selling, consuming, or being under the influence of any drug (except as authorized by a physician) or alcohol while on Housing Authority property, in Housing Authority vehicles, or  engaged in Housing Authority work.  In addition, Housing Authority employees who are charged with or convicted of a drug offense while employed by the Housing Authority must inform their supervisor within 5 days.

Substance Abuse

The BC/AC Housing Authority specifically prohibits the following:

  1. The manufacture, distribution dispensing, possession or use of drugs (which includes:  controlled substances; over-the-counter drugs and/or drugs which require a prescription, if the use of such drugs may impair the person’s ability to perform a job or duty, or pose a threat to the safety of the employee or others; any other substance capable of altering an individual’s mood, perception, pain level or judgment) or drug paraphernalia on Housing Authority premises, while conducting Housing Authority business, in Housing Authority supplied vehicles or during working hours;
  2. The use or possession of alcohol on Housing Authority premises and/or during working hours;
  3. Being under any influence of drugs or alcohol on Housing Authority premises while conducting Housing Authority business or during working hours;
  4. The manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of drugs or drug paraphernalia, or the possession or use of alcohol off Housing Authority property that adversely affects the employee’s work performance or his/her or other’s safety at work; and
  5. Refusal to consent to drug or alcohol testing when requested by your supervisor, Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director or the Executive Director.

Violation of the Policy will result in discipline up to and including discharge.  Any illegal substance will be turned over to the appropriate law enforcement agency and may result in criminal prosecution.

If you are taking prescription drugs that may make you drowsy or impair your mental functioning, you must inform your supervisor so that s/he can make sure such drugs willnot affect your ability to perform your job safely and effectively.  Any violation of this policy will result in discipline, up to and including immediate termination.

Employee Assistance

Any employee who is suffering from drug or alcohol abuse problems is encouraged to come forward and seek help.  If you have a drug or alcohol problem, and discuss it with management before it affects your performance or is discovered by management, the Housing Authority will refer you to a treatment program and, if possible hold your job for your return.  Under those circumstances, you will not be disciplined unless you fail to successfully complete the rehabilitation program or test positive for drugs within two years of completing a program.

Substance Testing

In an effort to ensure compliance with this Policy, BC/AC Housing Authority will conduct the following tests for substance abuse.

  1. Post Offer/Pre-Employment Drug Testing.  The taking of urine samples or other appropriate tests to identify substance abusers are to be routinely given as part of the normal Housing Authority post-offer/pre-employment procedure.  Applicants will be advised that employment is contingent on passing the drug test.  If an applicant protests a positive test result, the Housing Authority may exercise its discretion and permit the applicant to submit to a second test, but such discretion will generally be exercised only where there is cause to believe that an error occurred in the testing.  Applicants who are denied employment because of a positive drug test will be permitted to re-apply for employment after a six month waiting period.
  2. Testing Based on “Reasonable Suspicion”.  Any employee who Housing Authority personnel reasonably suspects is under any influence of drugs or alcohol shall submit to a drug or alcohol test.  The supervisor requesting the test shall document specific behavioral, performance or physical indicators of suspected drug use, including involvement in a motor vehicle accident while on Housing Authority business, or receive reliable reports of such indicators from third parties.

Implementing Employee Testing

In substance testing situations, the following steps will be taken:

  • The employee will be driven to the testing site by a Housing Authority representative.
  • The employee will be required to read and sign a Consent and Release form.
  • An analytical urine testing will be conducted for marijuana, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines and phencyclidine.
  • A positive drug test will be confirmed through Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry testing.
  • Alcohol testing will use evidential breath testing devices. A positive test result will result in a second test a short time later.  Any alcohol test greater than 0.02 will be considered a positive test.
  • A Medical Review Officer will review all positive test results.



Here at BC/AC Housing Authority, we want change to be a positive experience.

Promotion, Demotion and Transfer

It benefits both you and BC/AC Housing Authority for you to be doing the job for which you are best suited.  Accordingly, the Housing Authority looks for opportunities for employees to move within the organization.


The Housing Authority may fill vacancies above the entry level from within.  Current employees may receive first consideration for openings for which they have the knowledge, skills and abilities, unless outside recruitment seems advisable.  Vacant jobs are normally posted on the bulletin boards in the Housing Authority Office.  You should direct your application for a vacant position to the appropriate supervisor.  If you apply for an open position, you will go through the Housing Authority’s normal recruitment and selection process, unless you are the only employee who applies.


Occasionally, it may be necessary for an employee to move to a lower paying job.  This normally occurs when the employee is not satisfactorily performing the essential functions of the current job.  It may also occur in lieu of layoff, when there is a lower paying position available.  An employee is eligible for a demotion only if s/he possesses the minimum qualifications for the position.  Demotion to a position in a lower classification is normally accompanied by a salary reduction to a level commensurate with the new position.


Vacant positions may also be filled through lateral transfer of qualified employees.  A voluntary transfer request will be considered if the employee meets the requirements of the new position, has held the current position for at least six months, has a satisfactory performance record and has had no disciplinary actions during the six month period.  If you are interested in a transfer, submit a written request for a transfer to your department head, including the reason for the request, and the department and specific position desired.  Your request will be forwarded to the Executive Director with a recommendation.  Normal recruitment and selection procedures will be followed as with a promotion.

Layoff and Recall

Unfortunately, there may be times when the Housing Authority must reduce employment because of lack of work, lack of funds, considerations of efficiency or other business reasons.  Such reductions may result in layoffs.  The Housing Authority will attempt to avoid layoffs and consider alternatives first.

Layoffs may be temporary or permanent.  Layoff decisions will be made based on a number of factors, including qualifications for continued employment in the remaining position, prior performance reviews and seniority.  All layoff and recall decisions, including the weight to be placed on these and other factors are completely within the discretion of BC/AC Housing Authority management.

Separation from Employment

The employment relationship between the BC/AC Housing Authority and its employees is voluntary.  All employees have the right to end the employment relationship if they deem it appropriate.  Likewise, for all employees except those covered by a written agreement, the Housing Authority can end the relationship at any time for any reason it deems appropriate.


If you decide to leave the employ of the Housing Authority, please give written notice to your supervisor.  Employees failing to give appropriate written notice may be ineligible for rehire.  Supervisory and managerial employees should give four weeks notice.  All other employees should give at least two weeks notice.

Involuntary Separation

Employees being terminated involuntarily may be given two weeks notice or pay in lieu of notice, unless the Housing Authority determines that it would be contrary to its interests to give such notice.

Separation Procedures

Separating and laid off employees will be asked to participate in an exit interview with a member of the management staff on or before their last day of work to explore such issues as the reasons for the separation, the employee’s suggestions for improving working conditions, any benefits issues, and to collect BC/AC Housing Authority property.  Separating employees who desire the Housing Authority to provide references on their employment will be asked to sign an authorization and release form for that purpose.  References other than job title and dates of employment will not be given without such a release.  Final pay checks are generally available on the last day of work, and in any event no later than 10 days after separation.



Again, we welcome you to your employment here at the Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority.  We are pleased to have you on our team.  We hope that this Employee Handbook has answered questions that you may have about our workplace.  Please feel free at any time to present any questions to your supervisor.  We look forward to working with you.


Employee Handbook – End of Handbook


Current Issue Date: June, 2005
Replaces Issue Date: January, 1997