(208)345-4907 1001 S Orchard Street, Boise, Idaho 83705

Housing Choice Voucher – Section 8

Voucher Briefing Video

Voucher Briefing Video Questionnaire

The Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority administers the federally funded Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, also known as Section 8. With a voucher, you pay approximately 30% to 40% of your household income (in the first year), for rent and utilities. BC/ACHA pays the difference between your portion of the rent and the amount your landlord requests. Preferences are given to low-income families, the elderly and/or people with a disabling condition. Currently, this program provides housing assistance to over 2,000 families in Ada County. There is usually a waiting list for this popular program and our waiting list is currently closed. We do not know when it will open again.

What are the main requirements in order to qualify for this program?

In order to receive housing assistance, you must be income-eligible. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) establishes income limits annually, based on family size for the area in which the Housing Authority is located. Currently, 75% of eligible applicants must have income that does not exceed 30% of the median area income. The remaining 25% may have income limits up to 50% of the area median. See our current Income Limits on our Resources page at www.bcacha.org/resources.

How do you apply for this program?

Because there are more families who need rental assistance than there are funds available, Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority uses a waiting list for this program. If you wish to receive assistance, you must submit an application online when the waiting list is open. Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority randomly selects applicants and assigns them a position on the waiting list.

The waiting list’s status can be found below. We will provide notice through a variety of media outlets, including this website, notifying the public of the next time-frame for opening the waiting list.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I filled out the pre-application form when the waiting list was open in January and February, 2022, does this mean I will receive housing assistance?

No. The pre-application will only give you a chance to be placed in the pool of applicants that will be used to select the list of 2,500 households that will be placed on the waiting

A list of confirmation numbers that were selected for the waiting list will be posted on our website at www.bcacha.org no later than March 31, 2022. Also, if your pre-application was chosen during the lottery, you will receive a letter from us, so please make sure to use a reliable mailing address. PLEASE NOTE: If you do not see your confirmation number listed on the website, this means your pre-application was NOT selected for the waiting list. Your pre-application will be discarded and you will need to re-apply once the waiting list is opened again.

Pre-applications that are selected through the lottery process will be placed in the order they were selected. Households that also meet local preferences may be moved to the top of the list and served first, before other households.

The waiting list for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is currently closed. We do not know when the list will be open again.

If you are on the waiting list, it is your responsibility to maintain your application with current contact information, as well as family composition and income changes. You must report these changes, in writing, to our office.

You may use the online form, email your changes to eligibility@bcacha.org, or mail your information to:

Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority
Attn: Eligibility Department
1001 S Orchard Street
Boise ID 83705

Yes. The Boise City/Ada County Housing Authority has established the following preferences: Idaho residents, elderly, disabled, families with minor children, and participants exiting an Idaho transitional housing program for homeless persons.

BCACHA can help you figure out if the home you want to rent is affordable within the limits of the HCV program. As long as it is, when you have a Section 8 voucher, you pay generally between 30 and 40 percent (in the first year) of your household income for rent and utilities. BCACHA pays the difference between your portion of the rent and the amount your landlord requests.

Since a household’s position on the waiting list for the Housing Choice Voucher program is dependent on a number of factors we cannot predict, (for example, how many people give up their vouchers each month, and how much funding we have available), we cannot provide an accurate estimate of when a voucher will become available. We last opened our waiting list in January / February 2022 and expect to go through that list within 2 to 2 1/2 years.

Need Help?

Do you have a question or would you like to receive more information?

If you are already in one of our programs and need to contact your representative, click here.

Additional Resources

This website provides free rental housing information to help renters, landlords and property managers meet their housing needs throughout Idaho. 



Change in income or assets
Use this form to report a change in income or assets while you are enrolled in the program.

Interim Change Report – Download Form

Annual Recertification / Move Packet
Use this form for your annual recertification or to report a change in your household size

Annual and Move Packet

Waitlist Change of Address Form
Use this online form to update your mailing address while on the waitlist.

Waitlist Change of Address Form

Boise City / Ada County Housing Authority Equal Opportunity Information

It is the policy of BCACHA to see that every individual, regardless of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability shall have equal opportunity in accessing affordable housing. If you or anyone in your family is a person with disabilities, and you require a specific accommodation in order to fully utilize our programs and services, please submit a request in writing or contact our office at 208-345-4907.