(208)345-4907 1001 S Orchard Street, Boise, Idaho 83705


What is the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program?

The HCV Program, commonly referred to as the Section 8 program, is a rental assistance program funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and administered in Ada County by BCACHA. The success of the program depends on our partnerships and ability to contract with owners and property managers who provide a decent, safe, and sanitary rental unit to HCV participants. Many low-income families in Ada County depend on owners like you, who are willing to participate. The HCV program allows BCACHA to pay a portion of the contract rent each month and the tenant is responsible for the amount above the Section 8 payment. The tenant will be initially responsible to pay at least 30% of their monthly income but no more than 40% for rent and utilities.

What are the benefits of becoming an HCV landlord?

Over the years, many owners and property managers have come to appreciate the following advantages of the Section 8 program:
  • Your monthly rental payments are guaranteed. A check is mailed to you by BCACHA on or near the first of the month.
  • If the tenant’s income decreases, their portion of the rent can be lowered and BCACHA’s portion can be increased, so the landlord gets their full rent amount.
  • Landlords use their own lease and their screening process for tenant selection.
  • Although a federal subsidy is provided on behalf of the tenant, the Section 8 program is a program based in the private market. Rental rates are based on the local market up to certain maximum limits.
  • Section 8 tenants are expected to comply with your lease and can be terminated from the program for serious and repeated violations.
  • BCACHA may assist landlords when the tenant is in violation of the lease by sending warning letters.
  • Initial and annual Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections done by BCACHA will help you to maintain your property.
  • You are helping to provide quality and affordable housing opportunities for low-income families.

How does a landlord get on the HCV program?

Any landlord willing to work within the guidelines of the program can rent their unit on the HCV program. The rent must be within the program limits and be comparable to other rents in the area, the unit must pass the HQS inspection, and the landlord must be willing to maintain and enforce their obligations under the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract.

For more information, you may refer to our Landlord Information Handbook, or contact our office at (208) 345-4907.